Our superhero!

Our superhero!
Our superhero!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

New updates

While it hasn't been a long time since I posted last, a lot has happened! first of all, they think they have found the reason for the fevers. He has an abscess on his liver. The doctors went back and forth for a few days on if it really was an abscess or not, but the official pathology reports came back that it was indeed and abscess. The latest plan a was to wait until his counts improved, which should make the abscess fill with fluid, and then they can drain it which will improve the fevers and antibiotics can reach it better. As of today, his counts were still at zero. Not sure when they'll improve?

Yesterday he also got a feeding tube put in. After he pulled it out 2 times yesterday, they decided to see if we could get him to eat on his own. He needs 600 calories a day, but is having a hard time with that. We have tried brownies, milkshakes, pediasure, carnation instant breakfast, and nothing is working. If anyone has a great idea, please let me know!

Also yesterday he had a bone marrow and lumbar puncture. These test should come back negative for leukemia cells. If not, he can't move on to the next phase of his treatment. We should find out on Monday.

On the home front, Merrill started his new job on Thursday and loves it! He is so happy, and it is such a good thing for him. We are all so grateful for that! Merrill did get in an accident yesterday while he was driving across campus to get a key to his office. A girl didn't see him and turned into him. No one was hurt, and Merrill was so sweet, and felt bad for the girl (I have been there & know how she feels)! Also, our sprinklers broke at 5:30 this morning, so I got to haul water out of the window well in the rain in the wee hours of the morning! The kids were troopers, and all four helped put towels down & get cleaned up. They are the best!

Now, just as a warning, I tend to overanalyze things, so if you want to stop reading now, go ahead, I won't be offended! Just to start off, I grew up playing softball, and I LOVED softball! I played both slow and fast pitch all summer, and was on the high school team as well. I would go outside and practice for hours at a time by myself. I would throw up the ball and hit it, practice pitching at the fence, throw the ball at the house so I could field grounders, etc, etc, etc.

Last night before I was awoken with the sprinkler issues, I had a dream. I was at a family reunion, and we were going to play softball. We went to the field, and I was SO excited to play. My team was up to bat first. As I got up to bat, there were walls in front of me, and behind me. I was pushed up close to home plate, and as I tried to get a full swing, My bat hit the wall in front of me. No matter how hard I tried, I could not hit the ball, which left me very frustrated. I kept striking out because I couldn't get a good stance, and swing the right way. It was about this time that Jerin woke me up. After all had calmed down, we all went back to bed. As I lay there trying to go back to sleep, I thought of my dream, and it dawned on me that I should have bunted! Now while that wasn't the power hit I was looking for to get everyone home, It would have gotten me to first base, and I could have relied on someone else that the walls didn't have a hold on to hit me home! Now, while this is an odd thing to think about while life is falling apart, I think it was for a reason. This is so much like my situation, and probably like most of our lives on more occasions than we care to admit! Right now, I am helpless. I have things blocking my way that I am helpless to remove. No matter how hard I try, I end up hitting a wall, and striking out. If I stop and look at the situation, and do the little things to move forward, and at least get me on base, I can rely on my Heavenly Father, who is without walls, to swing big and hit me home. I can't win the game on my own, but if I do my part, Heavenly Father can make up for the rest! I am SO grateful for the knowledge of my Heavenly Father's love for my family. I know beyond a doubt that he will bat us home if we do everything in our power to just get on base!

While times are hard, not just for my family, but for everyone at one point or another, the knowledge of a bigger plan can help us see things a little clearer, and our burdens WILL be lightened! I know this to be true!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jennifer that brought me to tears. I can see the tender mercy Heavenly Father is giving you along to help you with all the "brick walls". Thanks also for the anology. WOW a good message for us all. LOVE YOU GIRL! HUGS and PRAYERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your faith is amazing! You are an inspiration to all. Love & prayers for you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer I just have to say THANK YOU! You have an amazing spirit about you. I think of you everyday and thank you for your continual comforting words. My prayers are with you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete